Wednesday 20 April 2011

Charity Shop CD

You played me incessantly
Your constant companion
Night and day I was with you
Moving from joyful discovery
Through knowing appreciation
To familiar old friend.
My treble thrilled
My bass shook
My words stroked your soul

And then you discarded me
No longer were the lyrics checked
(You knew them by heart)
The cover art instead of a cerebral puzzle
Became a coffee mat
My place usurped by a younger, newer
Fresher interloper, whose mysteries lay
As yet undiscovered.

That it should come to this
From essential soul mate
To a remote shelf in a Charity Shop
Arbitrarily priced, soon to be discounted
Jammed next to unwanted pulp fiction
Retching from the stale scent of last year’s fashions
Unknown to the well meaning volunteers
Overlooked by the bargain hunters.

1 comment:

  1. Gave away my wife's copy of "Hatful of Hollow" (why have two?) in a clear-out years ago. Felt very guilty about it when I heard you read this. Is it possible to be forgiven for having done such a thing? Like giving away one identical twin (why have two?).

    ReplyDelete